Moon Gardening Phases
Gardening by the Moon
Based upon the gravitational pull of the moon, the ebb and flow of water, not only in seas, but upon rivers, streams and even the in the vascular system of the plant itself, the effect of the moon’s pull is used by some gardeners to improve success. In such things as planting, watering, pruning and harvesting the effects of the moon are represented as follows:
- Waxing moon = increasing light between a new and full moon [1st Quarter] – energy of the plant is drown into its upper parts. Time to sow and plant such things as shrubs, trees, and flowering plants.
- Ascending Moon [2nd Quarter] -the sap of the plants is drawn upwards. Time for grafting, and harvesting above ground produce, like leafy vegetables and soft fruits.
- Descending Moon [Quarter 3] – sap drown downward. A good time to transplant seedlings.Time to plant root crops.
- Waning Moon= decreasing light after the full moon and before the next new moon [4th Quarter] – energy of the plant is pulled down into the roots. Time for watering, fertilizing, hoeing and weeding.
- Increasing light means you can
- * Repot and take care of pruning houseplants
- * Sow seeds of plants that grow above ground
- * Fertilize
- * Graft fruit trees
- *Plant evergreen and deciduous shrubs and trees.
- * Plant bulbs
- *Plant crops that grow below the ground, such as potatoes, carrots
- *Cultivate weeds
- *Plant biennials and perennials (let the strength go into rooting)
- * Eliminate slugs
Flowers for a Moon Garden
Flowers don’t have to be white since there are pale yellows and pinks that also reflect light well.
Flowers inspirations for a moon garden:
Cleome hasslerana ‘Helen Campbell’
Dianthus alpinus, Dianthus plumarius ‘Itsaul White’, Dianthus plumarius ‘White Lace’
Missouri Evening Primrose, Oenothera macrocarpa
Evening Stock ‘Matthiloa longipetala‘
Madonna Lily, Lilium candidum
Phlox, Phlox paniculata ‘David’, ‘White Admiral’,Phlox carolina ‘Miss Lingard’
Moon flower,Ipomoea alba
Tuberose, Polianthes tuberosa
Ideas for an all white or moon garden planting, here.